Adopting a child from overseas

You can adopt a child from overseas if:

  • they cannot be cared for in a safe environment in their own country
  • the adoption would be in their best interests
  • the adopter has been assessed as eligible and suitable to adopt from overseas by an adoption agency in the UK

If you want to adopt a child from overseas, you should contact either:

The adoption process is similar to a UK adoption and will be done by a UK adoption agency that may charge a fee.

There are several other steps, for example:

  • the assessment will be sent to the overseas adoption authority
  • you’ll need to visit the child in their own country
  • your application will be sent to the child’s country
  • The UK adoption agency will let you know what you need to do

Fees for Overseas Adoption

The Department for Education (DfE) charges a fee of £1,975 for processing your application. The fee is exempt from VAT.

You’ll be contacted about how to pay the fee once your application has been accepted.

The fee includes case management but does not include legalisation costs.

Contact the relevant authority to find out about fees and procedures in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.


The UK has restricted adoption from the following countries:

  • Cambodia
  • Guatemala
  • Nepal
  • Haiti
  • Ethiopia

You must contact the Intercountry Adoption Team if you want to adopt a child from any of these countries. You’ll have to apply in writing, telling them the reasons why your case should be an exception. You can read about the reasons for the restrictions.

Intercountry adoption casework team
Level 0, Riverside
Bishopsgate House

If you live abroad

You must follow the adoption laws of the country you’re in if you normally reside in that country and want to adopt.

You must follow UK adoption law if you normally reside in the UK, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands. This is sometimes called ‘habitual residence’ and can apply even if you’re living abroad at the time of the adoption.

You may have to give a sworn statement in front of a solicitor that you no longer habitually reside in the UK, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands if the country asks for a ‘no objection’ letter from the UK government. You must send this statement either to the Intercountry Adoption Team at the Department of Education or the nearest British embassy.

If you’ve adopted a child – either in the UK or overseas – and then travel or move to a third country, the adoption may not be recognised in that country. If you have any doubts you should get legal advice.

Registering an adoption

You can apply to register an overseas adoption in the Adopted Child Register for England and Wales if:

  • the adoption took place in certain overseas countries
  • the parent or parents were habitually resident in England and Wales at the time of the adoption
  • the parent or parents can provide all the supporting documents